Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Walk with Life

The journey began with me, ever the whimsical pirate, setting eyes on the target and feet on the ground, fumbling and stumbling with that tiny pair I'd got, and declaring savage war on the tinier footed red army perched atop the clay hills, ultimately capturing two of their soldiers before bravely going down - into my mother's arms, both of us jubilant at the victory, celebrating with a loud giggle, and a heartwarming smile, making it the most pleasant, and the most memorable fall either of us ever had.

The journey continued, hand in hand with the first girlfriend, walking the narrow tree-lined alleys behind the school, both kids in shock and awe at the opposite sex not being so despicable after all; talking mush, not knowing much, turning red, walking on anyway.

Time flew to the final days, and nights, of university, companion changed to the quintessential best friend, and the journey went on, with two young men walking down corridors, and down memory lane, reliving their hilarious antics, worrying about pending test scores, lending life some precious advice; all the time hoping to delay the incongruous bend in the path.

Life propagated, roles reversed, and here I was, walking life, alongside my little girl, dropping her to school, taking her to the swings, watching cartoons, hiding from mommy; here I was, reliving the beginning of the voyage, enjoying it more, praying for it to last longer.

The road moved on, so did I, walking with the love of my life, with grey hair, and with high spirits; closer to this companion than I ever was to the others, laughing more than I ever could with the others, the journey continuing with this walk-eternally beautiful, endlessly fulfilling, yet... not for ever.

Today I see this journey conclude, memories being given away as souvenirs, as I walk away, into the dark; as I walk away, on another voyage, as I walk, inevitably, alone. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment